Thursday, January 20, 2011

Money Saving Challenge- January 20, 2011

These are the things we have been doing to save money:
  • Both DH and I have been taking our lunch to work each day.  We have been eating leftovers as well as sandwiches.  This is so much cheaper than eating out. 
  • Made DH's grandmother's birthday card.  I was quite proud of how it turned out.  Back in December, Precious over at Frugal Makes Cents found a great deal on paper and supplies to create greeting cards.  The entire package cost less than $10 and I should be able to easily get all of my greeting cards for the year made with the supplies.  I figure most Hallmark cards average around $4.00 so these savings will definitely add up.
  • Filled up my gas tank with my teacher savings card.  The gas station near our house provides teachers with 10 cents off every gallon of gas.  I saved $1.32 with this fill-up. 
  • Dinner today will be chicken cordon bleu with noodles and a side salad. 
  • Last night we went out to dinner at Olive Garden.  We received a gift card as a Christmas gift.  I used a coupon for $4.00 off 2 dinner entrees and $30 in gift cards.  After the coupon and gift cards, we owed $0.78 plus tip.  Not bad for a tasty dinner that fed three of us. 
  • DH has been carpooling to work.  He drives every other day which saves a lot on gas. 
  • We got our budget set and organized for 2011.  Homemaking Expert has a wonderful Excel spreadsheet that is exactly what we were needing.  By tracking our expenses and savings, we will have a much better idea of what is coming in and what is leaking out. 
  • I have been going through the kids' clothes.  The clothes that my youngest son has outgrown are all being organized into a pile for the garage sale we plan to have this summer.  Clothes that my oldest have outgrown, are being organized into giant tubs so that we are prepared when my youngest is ready for them. 
  • I went through all of our files and shredded an old documents and bills that we no longer need.  I am VERY cautious with getting rid of any paperwork.  There is so much fraud and scamming going on out there that I don't take any chances.  Everything gets shredded at our house!
  • I organized our freezer so that I know what we have and could more easily find what I need. 
  • Yesterday I stopped by the mall to check out the clearance sales on childrens' clothes. I always buy my son's clothes on clearance for the next year.  So, I have my eyes open now for winter clothes for him to wear next year.  I found some really good deals at both Old Navy and Gymboree.  I got a total of 10 shirts, 2 sweaters, 2 pairs of pants, and a pair of underwear for about $25 OOP, thanks to coupons, gift cards, and store credit. 
  • Due to the snow storm, both DH and I are off work tomorrow!  So, no gas will be used tomorrow.  Hopefully we can get a few chores done around the house, and also enjoy lots of fun time with our boys. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are getting started with a bang! I am impressed.

    MY DH car pooled to work for over 30 years. Not only did it save a fortune on gas, but on wear and tear and on parking permit charges.

    Welcome to my challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your savings! I am a teacher also. I wish I could find a gas station in Nevada with a discount like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie-
    Wow you are off to a great start! Welcome to the frugal challenge. I like your goals for the year. A few years ago Precious introduced me to 2 really helpful sites for money saving as well-Groupon and Ebates. I shop all year round for gifts as well and often online. Ebates has discount codes but you also get a percentage back as a check every quarter. I've gotten about $250 back over the past 2 yrs for things I was already buying. Pennies add up.

    Groupon has coupons usually for half off the price at local businesses. Similar to restuarants.com I got a $15 off $30 coupon for a place we frequent for dinner. DH and I had a nice dinner out for $20 this week.

    ReplyDelete